Starting Conversations on Twitter
It can be a bit frightening when you are first on Twitter to reach out to people and strike up a conversation. In show #2 I talk through a variety of ways to start those conversations -whether you are responding to something someone else posted or if you are initiating the conversation yourself.
Here is a list of some of the ideas covered in the show. Each point is elaborated further with additional ideas.
- Retweet other people's posts – either with a question/comment, or without. (Listen to my word of warning on retweeting links.)
- Answer a question that has been tweeted.
- Make a comment about something that has been tweeted.
- Favourite someone’s tweet.
- Jump into a conversation – use the search or a hashtag. (Again, a word of warning here.)
- Thank people for retweets
- Welcome new followers.
- Use their bio to give you something to talk about.
- Add people to a list. (I teach you how to create Twitter lists in this video.)
- Send a Follow Friday tweet (Make sure you don't make this mistake!)
- Ask a question.
- Give someone a compliment.
These are just a few of the ways to start connecting with people on Twitter.
Has this show helped you? Tweet me – @staceylmyers and if you have a question for the show, add the hashtag #StaceyAnswers.
Subscribe to Social at its Simplest Podcast on iTunes. That way you won't miss an episode!
I would love to hear other ways that you are reaching out to people on Twitter. Be sure to leave your ideas in the comments section below.
I’ve tried replying to people before to start a conversation but if they respond back sometimes it’s like they have no idea what I’m talking about. I don’t know if it’s because it was a scheduled post that they don’t remember or its just been a couple of hours since it was posted and they don’t remember. But I no longer want to do conversations anymore because of this reaction.
Please keep trying as not everyone is like that. There is no reason they shouldn’t remember as Twitter shows you the previous conversation. I had a quick look at your twitter and one of the things I would recommend is to start posting quotes or other pieces of information that don’t have a link with it. Most of the tweets you post have links on them and people are more likely to share quotes. It is even better if you can do some that have images with them. Then once people retweet your content, then you can say thanks and start a bit of a conversation. Sometimes that is all the interaction I have and other times it develops into more. Do say Hi on Twitter and let me know how you get on.